Saturday, April 5, 2008

To Tip Or Not To Tip...

I have a favorite car wash that I love because you get extra special treatment there. There is a guy that is standing out in any kind of weather to help you take your money and then to help pre soak your tires, windshield, etc. Then when the car wash is going, the guy comes in between the cycles and scrubs your vehicle. I always thought that this was so nice. Today I saw the car in front of me tip him and I felt so bad because I had never known to do that. However, when I was exiting the car wash I could not find the guy anywhere. That gave me the impression that he did not expect to be tipped. Hmmmm...was I supposed to tip him?

I have always considered myself a pretty good tipper. My Mom always tips the Sonic "Carhops" because they are always out in the rain, the cold, the heat, and any other kind of weather taking your food. I guess she taught me to do the same so I always tip them if the weather is bad. Troy thinks I am crazy because he says they get paid to do their job. He has never been a fan of the person at the hotels that expects a tip just for hailing a cab or the person that grabs your luggage and loads it before you ask them to. He thinks that tipping has gotten way out of hand...especially on vacation. We know people that leave tips for the hotel maids, tip waiters way above the 20%, etc, etc. I do think that if a waiter goes "above and beyond" then he deserves and extra tip, but that is just about it.

A waitress told us the other night that she has a man that requests her to be his waitress every time that he eats at that restaurant, but only leaves $1.50 tip every time. She said that it just kills her because he and his wife are so "high maintenance" and still only leave $1.50.

Sorry for the random blog today. The tipping at the car wash just got me to thinking. What are your thoughts on tipping? I would really like to know since I am not up on the tipping etiquette.

4 comments:

L Stewart said...

I haven't really had to tip that much in my life but I have learned 2 things.

1. Because I'm a college student, I feel like waiters/waitresses know that I'm poor
2. People in Egypt expect a tip for EVERYTHING. They will say, "Free gift for beautiful girl" and as soon as its in your hand, they say,"tip? tip?" and they won't let you hand the item back!!!

Julie said...

Brent's huge tipper and I'm the one that's the stick in the mud. I do always tip at Sonic, but I get so frustrated tipping for haircuts, pedicures, etc. that I've already paid an armload for-the guilt always makes me continue to do it though...maybe you could ask the manager there about it-there are several places in Nashville where they won't allow you to tip

Jenn said...

I think that Aaron and Troy must be talking...he hates it when I tip at Sonic, but I don't always do it...I also don't like it when the carhops EXPECT a tip. Like when they give you the bills back and not the change. When they do that, I always ask for my change...that just ticks me off for some reason. It's my money and if I choose to give them a tip, I will, if not, just give me back all my change!!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Hey! I wrote a post awhile back called "Got Tips?" It had a pretty big response with people giving advice in the comments section. You should check it out when you can. As far as the carwash guy...it sounds like he does not expect a tip. That is the time that I choose to give them the best tip because they are doing it "just because".